Pages

Friday 4 September 2015

Cloze reading - Number one

It's Saturday morning. Rain, hail or sunshine, I get up early, and get dressed in my rugby league gear: black shorts, green-and-yellow socks, and a bright yellow jersey with green stripes and a big black number 10 on the back.
"Your jersey number 10,"    said   1 Mum, "but you're my number one!"     I     2 get to the grounds, and  can’t 3 wait to play. Mum whispers in my 4 ear. "Watch the ball all the  

time 5, son." The whistle blows. The other guys kick the ball.   we 6 all run towards it. I       hear my7 Mum's voice. "The ball, Te Hiko – get  8 the ball!" Where is it? I run. There it is! Then  I 9 hear my Mum's voice! "Grab the ball 10, son. Go!" I pick it up and  run. Mum calls out, "Hold on to 11 the ball, Te Hiko!" I try   to 12 pass it to my mates, but their 13 in the way. I tuck it  in 14 my arm and run for the  tryline 15. Oops! I'm tackled, and I crash to the  16 ground. I've lost the ball.  I 17 scramble to my feet. I've had enough. But Mum's voice   is 18 in the air, "Get the ball, !" son 19. There it is! I grab it  and 20 run. Suddenly the goal line disappears. I can't hear my Mum  any 21 more. I crash to the ground 22. And \then the whistle blows. Too hard 23 to score. I've blown it again. I look around for Mum. And  there 24 she is, all smiles. It's just  a 25 announced that I'm player of the !   day 26 She gives me a big hug. "  and   say’s 27 you, son," she says. "I told  you   28 you're my number one!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.